Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Being bad at math...

Hey all, so lately (the last 10 days?) I've been trying to brush up on my relatively terrible math skillz.  Mostly because I have none.  The internet revealed to me this place called the Khan Academy which is generally helping.  It's actually a pretty cool resource for those of us who can't remember basic things like how to do long division.  I guess I'm doing a review here...but if you feel shitty about your shitty skills...look into it maybe?  There's videos and lots of things to do, it's free and by and large terribly informative.


Also, you get tons of meaningless awards for being able to not fuck things up.  It's probably a metaphor for something.

So in my quest for lifelong learning (apparently..), today I was dealing with "Least Common Multiples" and "Greatest Common Divisors," while I think I can (now) technically do both these things...I cannot imagine a world in which I will ever need them.  The real world examples had things to do with the hotdog versus bun scenario, to which I say "Who would ever bother figuring this out? I'm not buying 96 packets of hotdogs just so I can finally use up all those pesky buns I bought off the back of a truck."

Who is actually ballsy enough to say "no no, we must figure this out! I'm not taking home any spare unless there's enough of both."?  Because let me tell you, Willie Tanner, you just won ninety packs of both, with a complimentary punch in the face.

Aside from my obvious disdain for fifth grade mathematics (and apparently Max Wright, for no good reason).  I'm pretty sure I never really learned this, and moreover...I think it's going to make me try calculus one day. 

I'm nerdy excited and real life terrified. 

No comments:

Post a Comment